How to Freeze Cookies Without Causing Freezer Burn
If you ever wanted to practice portion control with a large batch of cookies, freezing them can be an easy way to keep them out of your arm’s reach today—to unfreeze and devour later in the week.
Freezing any food will preserve it for a later date, especially baked goods. Refrigerating cookies will dry them out but freezing them will maintain their original glorious state if you store them correctly.
Like a fridge, a freezer can also suck the moisture out of your food. When we freeze food, it loses moisture, and oxygen moves in to replace it, resulting in oxidation and dehydration—thus, freezer burn.
They’ll still be edible, but it will make your food dry and tough, giving your cookies a “burned” taste. But this doesn’t have to happen to your treats! Keep your treats tasty by following these steps to learn how to freeze cookies without causing freezer burn.
Preventing freezer burn requires a few precautions:
- Cooling—Cool your cookies completely before freezing. Otherwise, the moisture will condense, and the cookies will be soggy when you defrost them later. You can place them on a wire rack to speed up the cooling process.
- Container—To keep your cookies safe in the freezer, be sure to place them in a sturdy plastic container. Not only will this help with breakage, but it will also keep air from getting to them.
- Layering—Cover the bottom of the container with cookies. Place a sheet of wax or parchment paper on top. Then add another layer of cookies, followed by parchment paper.
- Plastic Wrap—Preventing freezer burn is all about keeping the air out. Once you’ve sandwiched all your cookies with parchment paper, wrap a sheet of plastic wrap over the container and then place the lid over it. The plastic wrap helps to make the container air-tight.
- Label—With a piece of masking tape, label the container with the type of cookie and the date. Cookies can live in your freezer for up to one year—but they may not make it that long.
Knowing how to freeze cookies without causing freezer burn applies to both homemade and professionally baked cookies! When you’re planning your next party or in need of a sweet treat, take a break from baking and buy cookies online with MidnighTreats!